Don't forget to check if you need Council consent for your project

by Alan Knowsley - Rainey Collins Lawyers

A young couple recently decided to put up a new kitset shed on their property. Because of the layout of their land, they had no choice but to put it right up next to their boundary fence.

They were about to go ahead and build it when their neighbour mentioned that they might need consent for it. They did some research and realised that because the shed was within its own height of the boundary, they needed a building consent before they could start building it. Furthermore, they had to look into fire-rating it given it was within a metre of the boundary.

If they didn't get a consent, there would be problems with their insurance and it was likely that the lack of consent would be raised as an issue when they came to sell the property, so they had to put a halt on their project and wait for Council to issue consent..

It pays to be mindful of Council's consent rules, as there are many thing which can require consent, including things like removing internal walls, moving plumbing, and building retaining walls and decks over a certain height. If you are unsure, contact Council or your experienced property legal adviser.

For more information on this topic, please contact the Rainey Collins office (04 4736850) or the article author - Alan Knowsley.

We welcome your feedback

Hi there! We want to make this site as good as it can for you, the user. Please tell us what you would like to do differently and we will do our best to accommodate!

We've updated our Privacy Statement, before you continue. please read our new Privacy Statement and familiarise yourself with the terms.